Transfer Credit Information

Certain graduate academic credit earned elsewhere prior to matriculation at CSSW may be applied toward the M.S. degree. It is the student’s responsibility to apply for such transfer credit. Courses used to fulfill graduation requirements for a degree that was conferred are not eligible for transfer.

NOTE: The deadline to apply for transfer credit is JUNE 30 for Fall admission and JANUARY 5 for Spring admission. Applications for transfer credit will not be reviewed after these dates.

To Apply for Transfer Credit:

  1. Complete the Transfer Credit Form before the deadlines listed above.
  2. Send your transcript, if you have not yet done so, to:
    Columbia School of Social Work
    Office of Admissions
    1255 Amsterdam Avenue, 5th Floor
    New York, NY 10027
    OR email to

Transfer Credit Policy for Prior Graduate Course Work

  • Transfer credit must have been earned within five years of matriculation.
  • No more that six (6) credits may be for electives.
  • A maximum of nine (9) transfer credits can be granted for a combination of both required and elective courses.
  • For required courses T660A-B Human Behavior Social Environment
  • Only graduate level courses can be transferred.
  • You must have earned a grade of B or better in the courses for which you wish to receive credit.

The Office of Enrollment and Student Services, in conjunction with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, determines whether graduate credit taken at another school is to be transferred as “elective” credit. Elective credit must be taken in a related field to social work. Because of the difficulties in evaluating international transcripts, no transfer credits can be granted for courses taken at international universities.

Click here for the complete Transfer Credit Policy.


  • Columbia University School of Social Work does not give academic credit for life experience or previous work experience, in whole or in part, in lieu of the field practicum or of courses.
  • Advanced Standing, Transfer or Dual Degree students should not submit the Transfer Credit Form.