Applying to CSSW
Thank you for your interest in applying to join the Columbia School of Social Work’s community.
Our MSW students represent a rich diversity of backgrounds and perspectives. What draws them together is their common aspiration to a high educational standard and their shared passion for developing an agenda that forwards human rights, social justice, and respect for human diversity, in alignment with the School’s mission (see mission statement). Our students are committed to improving lives and strengthening communities locally and globally in their roles as clinicians, advocates, planners, policy analysts, researchers, and managers. They aspire to assume leadership roles in social work practice and research.AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, Teach for America, McNair Scholars, the Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) and the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP).
Eligibility RequirementsAt a minimum, candidates for the MSW program must meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Academic record suggesting the ability to excel at graduate-level study.
- Serious commitment to the profession of social work and the capacity to meet the demands of professional training, often demonstrated by internships and life experiences.
- For non-native English speaking applicants only: a combined TOEFL score of 100; IELTS Band 7.0.
DeadlinesFor spring term (January) admission:
- October 15 of the preceding year
Available program options: 16-month Program (on-campus only); Extended and Reduced Residency Programs (on-campus & online).
For fall term (September) admission:
- PRIORITY DEADLINE: December 1
- FINAL DEADLINE: February 15
Available program options: Two-Year, Advanced Standing, Extended, Transfer, and Reduced Residency Programs (on-campus & online) and the International Program (on-campus only).
For specific deadline information, please see the Application Portal.
Visit UsStudying for an MSW is rewarding; it is also a big commitment. As you contemplate which school is the best fit for you and your requirements as a budding social work professional, we encourage you to learn as much as you can about us and the wider university community.
- Attend an information session to meet with members of our Admissions team and the wider CSSW community. Click here for the latest information session schedule. The team also visits cities around the country.
- Visit an admissions counselor during our scheduled drop-in office hours.
- Meet one of our admissions representatives when they are in a city near you.
- Take a tour of the Columbia University campus and our Social Work Building.
- Attend events taking place right now at the School, in person or via Livestream. Fill in our Request for Information to receive invitations. Participating in events convened by the School is an effective way to engage with our community.
- Learn more about our faculty, research centers, and the student experience.