As long as you hold an F-1 (student) visa, you are permitted to undertake internships during your studies. After graduation, you are permitted to hold full-time employment for practical training for a specific period of time. The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) defines “practical training” as paid employment related to a student’s field of study.

For more information, please go to the International Students and Scholars Office (a Columbia University site). You may also find it useful to peruse the FAQ on our International Students Program page. You are also encouraged to use GoinGlobal, which is accessible by logging into Career Connect, to learn about applying for positions in the U.S. and other international regions.