Winter Storm Update, Thursday – Friday (1/2/2014 – 1/3/2014)
Message from Dean Jeanette Takamura, 1/2/14 @6:00 p.m.
Dear Students and Colleagues:
The most current weather advisories indicate that NYC and the surrounding areas are likely in for a very big snowstorm. Anticipating this, we want to be sure that you have the following information so that you can best plan for tonight and tomorrow. Above all else, we want to ensure that everyone is safe and warm.
We will close the School building at the end of day today. All of the deans and directors will be working electronically tomorrow. Throughout tomorrow, we would advise you to check the Columbia University website if you have any questions about accessibility in the immediate neighborhood and to Columbia services. The Columbia University emergency phone number is 212-854-1754. Please take note of it in the event you may be in need of assistance. Alternatively, you may check the School’s Website for information on the School.
Doctoral students should be in touch with Chair Julien Teitler or Associate Director Jessica Troiano if any questions arise. Again, we wish to minimize the possibility of preventable accidents when School personnel are not onsite to be of assistance.
MS students will not be required to report to their practicum agency. Ovita Williams and her Field Department staff are notifying all agencies that except in extenuating circumstances to be determined directly by supervisors and students, you will not be expected to be at your practicum agency tomorrow. (See more details below.)
Moira Curtain and her cadre of advisors will also be available electronically.
We will be returning to our usual schedules on Monday, as the storm should subside over the weekend. Meanwhile, we recommend you check to be sure that you have an adequate supply of food and water available for the next few days and that you consult the MTA Website for train and bus schedules before planning any trips outdoors.
Again, please do all that you can to remain safe and warm. With the proper precautions in place, falling snow can be beautiful and provide a welcome stillness and sense of serenity.
Happy New Year, too!
Specific Instructions for:
- The Social Work Building is closed on Friday, January 3rd.
- practicum for Friday January 3rd is cancelled. Do not report to their practicum agency unless specifically instructed to do so by their practicum supervisor because of an extenuating circumstance.
- practicum Department will notify your agency directly that Field is cancelled tomorrow.
- You will not be expected to make up these hours.
- All full-time members of the Practicum Learning Office and of the Office of Advising will be available electronically if you have specific questions. There is no need to confirm with them that your practicum placement is cancelled tomorrow.
- Practicum Learning will resume on Monday January 6th, 2014.
- If you decide to travel in storm conditions, do so WITH EXTREME CAUTION.
- Before leaving the office on Thursday, January 2nd, please make sure all windows are closed securely.
- Remember windows in spaces that are not usually occupied. It is often an open window in one of these "forgotten" rooms that causes frozen or split pipes, not to mention wasted energy.
- Leave all radiator valves and fans coils on to ensure adequate heating and to avoid damage from freezing. Fan coils should be set to the slowest speed setting.
- Clear clothing or furniture away from heaters to avoid inadequate heating that may cause freeze-ups and damage.
- Make sure all faucets are off.
- Report problems, such as leaks or windows or doors that cannot be closed, to the Facilities Services Center by calling the Facilities Services Center, call (212) 854-2222, 24 hours a day.
Important Contact Info & Helpful Links
- Morningside Campus general information number: 212-854-1754.
- Columbia University Facilities: 212-854-2222.
- Public Safety: 212-854-5555. (For on-campus emergencies; for medical or off-campus emergencies, please call 911.)
- If you have not already done so, we strongly encourage you to sign up for the University’s Emergency Text Message notification system in order to receive emergency updates on your mobile device. You may enroll online via SSOL.
- New York City Severe Weather
- National Weather Service Weather Prediction Center
- Metro Transit Authority (for subway, bus, train info)
- New York 1 (24-hour news channel, with updates on closures)
Morningside Campus Service Updates
- Please note that the main gates of the Morningside campus open at 116th Street, at both Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue will remain open. The following gates will be closed during snow removal: Chapel Gate, Earl Hall Gate, CPSR Gate, NW Corner Staircase.
- Facilities continues to be available at Morningside to assist with campus and building services. To contact the Facilities Services Center, call (212) 854-2222, 24 hours a day.
- As the situation changes, Columbia University will continue to update the Columbia Preparedness Website and the Columbia Home Page.
Image: Courtesy Morguefiles.