Vincent Schiraldi Interviewed in New Criminal Justice Reform Documentary
Senior Research Scientist Vincent Schiraldi shares his expertise on mass incarceration and juvenile justice in a just-released short documentary: After Rikers: Justice By Design.
The short documentary film After Rikers: Justice by Design will premiere this Saturday, March 9, at the Beyond the Bars Conference, hosted by the Columbia Center for Justice. Produced by Public Square Media, the 17-minute film explores Mayor Bill de Blasio’s commitment to close the controversial Rikers Island jail complex, the plan to replace it with a borough-based jail system, and the city’s larger vision of criminal justice reform.
One of the film’s interviewees is Vincent Schiraldi (bio), a senior research scientist at the School of Social Work. Schiraldi brings firsthand experience on the unique obstacles facing New York City’s criminal justice system reform, having served as Senior Advisor to Mayor de Blasio’s Office of Criminal Justice from 2014–2015. In that role he worked to reduce the city’s incarceration, increase equity in the system, improve outcomes for young adults, and raise the age of juvenile court jurisdiction to 18.
Prior to working in the de Blasio administration, Schiraldi served as Commissioner of the Department of Probation for the City of New York and as Director of the Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services for the District of Columbia, in addition to founding two national non-profit organizations dedicated to reducing incarceration.
The premiere of After Rikers: Justice by Design is part of a block of films set to start at 5:30 p.m. at the School of Social Work on Saturday. You can register to attend the film series here.
Additional After Rikers screenings are currently planned for:
- March 11, 6:00 p.m. at St. Francis College
- March 13, 7:00 p.m. at SVA Theater (sponsored by Open House New York
Related External Links:
- “After Rikers: Justice By Design” screening at St. Francis College
- “After Rikers: Justice By Design” screening at SVA Theater
- Columbia Center for Justice Beyond the Bars Conference
- De Blasio Administration Unveils Plans for Borough-Based Jails to Replace Facilities on Rikers Island
- Smaller, Safer, Fairer: A Roadmap to Closing Rikers Island