SWM-012: CSSW Alums Are Enlightened and Active Participants, With Dean Jeanette Takamura
Columbia University School of Social Work has more than 16,000 alumni in the United States and all over the world. Hardly a day goes by at the School without hearing of their achievements or discovering that one of them is offering personal real-world insights to current students or telling them how to get started in their social work careers. In a recent conversation with Social Work Matters, Dean Jeanette Takamura paid tribute to this pool of talent and their many contributions to the life-blood of the School.
SELECTED LINKS RELATED TO THE EPISODE
- Become an advocate for CSSW and help the School to win $26,000 on Giving Day.
- Make a Giving Day donation.
- Eight Donors Tell Us Why They Support Social Work Education (23 October 2013).
- Friend and Dean’s Advisory Council Member Endows Second Scholarship (2 October 2013).
- Go to Alumni page.
- Quite a few CSSW alumni are practicum supervisors, advisors, panelists, and other kinds of program participants.
- They also play a big role in recruiting students, and some of them hire our graduates (and make “terrific mentors”).
- They participate in many of the selection committees the School has.
- They write to the School all the time with their ideas.
- They also donate to help students with financial aid, and to support new initiatives for students (eg, the Washington Fellows Program) and faculty.
- Columbia Giving Day, on October 29th, is a special day when the School hopes that alumni will show their support.
- The School has to raise its own monies; it does not receive support from Columbia. For this reason, “we are very very grateful to alums…who have in turn decided to support the school. It makes such a huge difference.”
- SWM-011: The Ebola Crisis as Seen from the Lens of International Social Work
- SWM-010: Translating Neuroscience into Policy and Practice for At-Risk Children, with Dr. Jack Shonkoff
- SWM-009: The Impact of the Great Recession on American Families and Social Services, with Filmmaker Harry Gantz
- SMW-008: Social Work as Social Enterprise, with Alumnus Matt Omelagah
- SWM-007: Social Work and the DSM-5, with Michael First and Janet Williams (2/2)
- SWM-006: Social Work and the DSM-5, with Michael First and Janet Williams (1/2)
- SWM-005: The Tenure Process, with Craig Schwalbe and Elwin Wu
- SWM-004: Dialectical Behavior Therapy in Clinical Social Work, with Tony DuBose
- SWM-003: The Presumed Incompetence of Faculty Women of Color, with Professor Carmen Gonzalez
- SWM-002: Orchid vs Dandelion Parenting in the Wake of the Great Recession, with Professor Irv Garfinkel
- SWM-001: The Trials and Tribulations of the Trayvon Martin Case, with Professor Ron Mincy