SWM-012: CSSW Alums Are Enlightened and Active Participants, With Dean Jeanette Takamura
October 27, 2014 @ 11:17 pm
Columbia University School of Social Work has more than 16,000 alumni in the United States and all over the world. Hardly a day goes by at the School without hearing of their achievements or discovering that one of them is offering personal real-world insights to current students or telling them how to get started in their social work careers. In a recent conversation with Social Work Matters, Dean Jeanette Takamura paid tribute to this pool of talent and their many contributions to the life-blood of the School.
SELECTED LINKS RELATED TO THE EPISODE
- Become an advocate for CSSW and help the School to win $26,000 on Giving Day.
- Make a Giving Day donation.
- Eight Donors Tell Us Why They Support Social Work Education (23 October 2013).
- Friend and Dean’s Advisory Council Member Endows Second Scholarship (2 October 2013).
- Go to Alumni page.
- Quite a few CSSW alumni are field supervisors, advisors, panelists, and other kinds of program participants.
- They also play a big role in recruiting students, and some of them hire our graduates (and make “terrific mentors”).
- They participate in many of the selection committees the School has.
- They write to the School all the time with their ideas.
- They also donate to help students with financial aid, and to support new initiatives for students (eg, the Washington Fellows Program) and faculty.
- Columbia Giving Day, on October 29th, is a special day when the School hopes that alumni will show their support.
- The School has to raise its own monies; it does not receive support from Columbia. For this reason, “we are very very grateful to alums…who have in turn decided to support the school. It makes such a huge difference.”
- SWM-011: The Ebola Crisis as Seen from the Lens of International Social Work
- SWM-010: Translating Neuroscience into Policy and Practice for At-Risk Children, with Dr. Jack Shonkoff
- SWM-009: The Impact of the Great Recession on American Families and Social Services, with Filmmaker Harry Gantz
- SMW-008: Social Work as Social Enterprise, with Alumnus Matt Omelagah
- SWM-007: Social Work and the DSM-5, with Michael First and Janet Williams (2/2)
- SWM-006: Social Work and the DSM-5, with Michael First and Janet Williams (1/2)
- SWM-005: The Tenure Process, with Craig Schwalbe and Elwin Wu
- SWM-004: Dialectical Behavior Therapy in Clinical Social Work, with Tony DuBose
- SWM-003: The Presumed Incompetence of Faculty Women of Color, with Professor Carmen Gonzalez
- SWM-002: Orchid vs Dandelion Parenting in the Wake of the Great Recession, with Professor Irv Garfinkel
- SWM-001: The Trials and Tribulations of the Trayvon Martin Case, with Professor Ron Mincy