What is Federal Work-Study, and are we required to apply for it on the student’s behalf?

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is funding provided by the Department of Education to assist students with financing their education. Eligible students are awarded FWS as part of their financial aid package and are then able to earn those funds via an eligible field placement. You are not required to apply for funding on a student’s behalf. Once a student is placed with your agency, you will receive an email link to DocuSign requesting that you complete the necessary documents. Once the internship starts, you will need to sign the student’s bi-weekly time sheets, verifying the hours they have completed at your workplace. The student will submit these bi-weekly time sheets to the University’s Federal Work Study payroll system to receive their FWS compensation.