Vincent Schiraldi has extensive experience in public life, founding the policy think tank, the Justice Policy Institute, then moving to government as director of the juvenile corrections in Washington DC, and then as Commissioner of the New York City Department of Probation. Most recently Schiraldi served as Senior Advisor to the New York City Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice. Schiraldi gained a national reputation as a fearless reformer who emphasized the humane and decent treatment of the men, women, and children under his correctional supervision. He pioneered efforts at community-based alternatives to incarceration in NYC and Washington DC. Schiraldi received a MSW from New York University, and a Bachelor of Arts from Binghamton University.
For more information, go to: Columbia Justice Lab, Juvenile Justice Expert Vincent Schiraldi Joins School of Social Work as Senior Research Scientist
- Florida should shut down youth-detention centers where ‘fight clubs’ thrive by Candice Jones, Patrick McCarthy and Vincent Schiraldi (October 18, 2017)
- How New York City Has Shown that “Less is More” When It Comes to Probation Supervision, by Vincent Schiraldi, HuffPost (October 10, 2017)
- KEYNOTE ADDRESS: 2017 NTCOSS Conference; Darwin, NT, Australia (September 28, 2017)
- “Juvenile Prisons: It’s Time to Close ‘Factories of Failure,’” by Vincent Schiraldi on The Crime Report (September 26, 2017)
- FB Live discussion between Vincent Schiraldi and CSSW Interim Dean Irwin Garfinkel on youth criminal justice (November 15, 2017)