UNIVERSITY LEADERSHIP SERIES: What Do We Owe One Another? with Deans Begg (CSSW) and Lester (Columbia Law School)
- Columbia Global Centers
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC | ONLINE ONLY | REGISTRATION REQUIRED
Columbia Global Centers
Safwan Masri (bio), Executive Vice President for Global Centers and Global Development
- Melissa Begg (bio), Dean, Columbia School of Social Work
- Gillian Lester (bio), Dean, Columbia Law School
Julie Kornfeld (bio), Vice Provost for Academic Programs
About the Event
In the hit NBC show The Good Place, Chidi Anagonye (William Jackson Harper) tries to get his philosophy students to understand the moral dilemmas of action and inaction. He assigns his charges to study contractualism, T.M. Scanlon’s philosophy that makes us all ponder what we owe to each other.
Join the Columbia Global Centers for a discussion that will delve into this forever moral quandary. The panel will address questions such as:
- How effective is the United States social safety net and its welfare policies in addressing major social problems?
- How should we address economic inequality, racial justice, and other obstacles to societal equity?
- How do we get those who benefit from our current systems to care about those who do not?
Registrants will be sent a link to the on-demand webinar on the Columbia Global Centers YouTube channel shortly after the event.
This event is part of the University Leadership Series with the Columbia Global Centers. For other events in the series, visit the playlist here.