End of Life Choices: What Social Workers Should Know
- Social Work Office of Professional Excellence (SWOPE)
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. LIVESTREAM AVAILABLE; REGISTRATION REQUIRED
Social Workers have a responsibility to help ensure that the dying should not endure more suffering than they are willing to bear. But social workers can only do this if they have a proper understanding of their clients’ health care rights, the laws that protect them and end-of-life treatments.
Laurie Leonard, LMSW, MBA, is the Executive Director of End of Life Choices New York. Over her 40-year career she has worked in hospice, hospitals, communications and specialized in end-of-life issues. She earned her MBA at Harvard University and her MSW at Fordham University.
End of Life Choices New York (EOLCNY) is the leading organization in New York working to improve health and end of life care and expand end-of-life options, to ensure a humane and peaceful death with dignity. Through leadership, advocacy, education and counseling, it seeks to expand choice at the end of life and improve the quality of care for New Yorkers, ensuring that their values and wishes are respected. EOLCNY staff and board members have given hundreds of lectures, workshops and professional in-services on palliative care, pain management and patient rights to thousands of professionals and community members.
For more information and to register for the event, please click here. 1.5 contact hours are available for NYS, NJ and CT Licensed Social Workers. Licensed Social Workers for other states, please refer to your state licensing agency and email email@example.com.
Ms. Leonard has made available the following handouts:
- EOLCNY Aid in Dying Fact Sheet
- Article: Oregon’s experience with aid in dying: findings from the death with dignity laboratory
- Palliative Care Information Act and Palliative Care Access Act Summary
- Free Counseling Services
- Choosing Your End of Life Health Care Treatments
- New York State Health Care Proxy Form
She has also made available her Powerpoint slides and links to the two videos to be shown during her presentation:
- End of Life Choices Workshop PowerPoint
- Video from Presentation: Seinfeld clip
- Video from Presentation: The Life of Death