Beyond the Bars 2019: Until She’s Free
- Center for Justice
The 9th Annual Beyond the Bars Conference, March 7–10, will focus on the incarceration and criminalization of women and girls themselves, as well as of their families and communities.
Our focus is inclusive of transgender, non-binary, and gender non-conforming people. The many struggles for justice, equity, and safety led by women and girls directly impacted by the criminal legal system will be at the heart of the conference as we create a space to further strengthen and advance change. Beyond the Bars 2019 will continue developing collaboration between universities and the many ongoing efforts to end mass incarceration.
It is our hope that this conference will bolster efforts to challenge the impacts of incarceration and criminalization on women and girls in the following ways:
- Convene and support a national and international network of women and organizations to share and advance strategy and resources.
- Help articulate and amplify a feminist vision and analysis.
- Address difficult issues and questions within the movements to end gender-based violence and criminalization and incarceration.
- Strengthen and amplify the growing voices and roles of directly impacted women and girls.
- Enhance the knowledge and skills for a broad range of change makers.
- Further catalyze university involvement in the struggle to end mass incarceration.
In addition to conference panels and breakout sessions, the conference will also include a reception, film screenings, and workshops.
Beyond the Bars 2019 is cosponsored by the Center for Justice at Columbia University, the Criminal Justice Caucus, and the School of Social Work.