I understand that I select one of four method areas for my second year. How does this decision affect my practicum work and coursework?

The choice of the method area determines the type of practicum placement for your second year as well as the series of second-year practice courses, including the advanced research course. For instance, if you were to choose Advanced Clinical Practice, your practicum placement would entail working directly with individuals, families and groups. You would be required to take T7113 (Advanced Clinical Practice in a Field of Practice) and T7114 (Advanced Clinical Practice with Populations, Modalities, and Professional Practice Issues) as your practice method courses, and T7501 (Clinical Practice Evaluation) as your advanced research course.

Is it possible to do two methods and/or two fields of practice?

It is not possible to complete two method areas of specialization or two fields of practice. Likewise, you are not permitted to register for a practice course outside of your method area of specialization. NOTE: This is even true of the students who are pursuing the International Social Welfare Minor in combination with a field of practice other than International Social Welfare. Taking two Field of Practice platform courses—T6925 for the minor and another T69XX course for the selected field of practice—does not constitute completion of two fields of practice.

I would like to take classes at another Columbia graduate school. How do I do that?

You are able to enroll in classes at other Columbia University schools to count either as elective credits (related and pre-approved graduate-level courses only) or as “extra” courses that are covered under the School’s flat-rate billing program, which allows you to register for a maximum of 19.5 credits per term in the Fall and Spring. NOTE: Our flat-rate tuition plan does not cover classes taken at Teacher’s College, Jewish Theological Seminary, or Union Theological Seminary. If you choose to register for a course at one of those schools, you will be charged tuition in addition to your flat-rate cost.

As each Columbia graduate school has its own cross-registration policies and procedures, our Office of Student Services compiles a document every term with links to classes at other schools that are open to CSSW students along with detailed instructions for registration, with links to necessary forms. This information is e-mailed to all students during the registration period and can also be found online.

How do I verify that I’m taking all the required courses and sufficient credits to obtain my degree at the end of this year?

Program requirements are listed in the Student Handbook which can be used as a checklist for completing your degree requirements. We suggest that you also get in the habit of checking your Degree Audit Report on Student Services Online (SSOL). Additionally, you are welcome to reach out to the Offices of Student Services and Advising to verify that you’re on track. NOTE: The Office of Enrollment and Student Services monitors students’ enrollment and registration and, where possible, will alert you if any problems are identified, but it is your responsibility to complete your degree requirements. Dual-degree students should meet with representatives at both schoolseach term to ensure they are successfully completing their requirements at both schools.

Which classes count for the New York State LCSW?

Go to the LCSW Course Requirements (PDF: 2 pages).

What if I have additional questions about class listings, course registration, or related matters?

For help with additional questions on registration-related matters, please contact the Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment at:
Telephone: 212-851-2436; 212-851-2367

  • By appointment: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday. (After 5:00 p.m., appointments available by request.) Go to online appointment system.
  • Walk-in: Wednesdays, 10 a.m – 6 p.m.