Am I able to complete the program part time?

You can complete a portion of your program with a reduced course load. This does not, however, make it a part-time program. You must be prepared to enroll full time once you begin your practicum placement. Full-time status is determined based on registration for at least 10.5 credits.

How long can I maintain a reduced courseload?

You may maintain a reduced course load for two years (generally, Year 1 and Year 2).

What classes do I take during my first year?

In your first year, you should plan to take:

  • T660A Human Behavior and the Social Environment-A
  • T660B Human Behavior and the Social Environment-B
  • T6501 Social Work Research
  • T6801 Social Welfare Policy.

In Year 2, you will take:

  • T6011 Practicum Learning Seminar in the Fall and Spring along with T7100 Foundations of SW Practice (Fall)
  • T7102 Direct Practice II (Spring); and T7103 Advocacy for SW Practice (Spring or Summer).

How many classes will I take each year?

Typically, you will take four to six classes per year—two to three classes per term—depending on your selected method area. For sample schedules and program plans for One-Year Residency for Working Professionals (Reduced Residency) students, go to our Student Handbook.

Can I take summer classes?

Yes. The School offers one summer session, which begins the week after commencement in May and ends either the last week of June (for classes that meet twice a week) or the last week of July (for classes that meet once a week). If your first term of enrollment is in January, then you should automatically plan to take summer classes. But before taking action on summer classes, please consult with your advisor and then the Office of Student Services to confirm whether the class(es) you have in mind will be offered and you are eligible to sign up. You must enroll for at least 6 credits in order to be eligible for federal loans.

Can I complete a minor?

Yes, but with some restrictions. If you are selected to pursue the Law Minor, please be mindful that Columbia Law School will not allow you to enroll in classes there unless you are already registered as a full-time student. All other minors do not require full-time status. For more details, go to minor requirements in our Student Handbook.

When do I declare my method specialization?

You will officially declare your method specialization at the end of your second year, when completing T6011 and requisite “first-year” practice courses. However, most RRP students make this decision in Year 1 as it could affect their program plans for Years 2 and 3. Your advisor will assist you with mapping out a plan of study.

When do I absolutely have to complete all of my requirements?

All degree requirements must be completed within five years of matriculation at the School.

What if I have additional questions about class listings, course registration, or related matters?

For help with additional registration-related questions, please contact the Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment at:
Telephone: 212-851-2436; 212-851-2367

  • By appointment: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday. (After 5:00 p.m., appointments available by request.) Go to online appointment system.
  • Walk-in: Wednesdays, 10 a.m – 6 p.m.