Learn more about CSSW's racial justice initiatives.

CSSW COVID-19 Updates

Click here for the latest communications issued by CSSW. Looking for social work volunteer opportunities, resources, and trainings for helping with the pandemic? See our Action Lab for Social Justice website.

I am an international student. When will I receive my I-20 student visa form? Do I need to send additional documentation?

As an international student, you must apply to Columbia University’s International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) for an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for student status. The I-20 is required to apply for a student entry visa at a U.S. consulate, to present at a port of entry upon arrival, and to transfer your SEVIS record if you are currently in the United States on an F-1 status. NOTE: SEVIS transfer students must have the current school’s international office transfer your SEVIS record to Columbia before you apply for an I-20 from Columbia.

Application Process: I-20 Certificate of Eligibility

  1. As soon as possible, submit your online application for an I-20 to the ISSO by following the steps at: http://isso.columbia.edu. NOTE: All supporting documents must be submitted by email using the address provided on this site.
  2. The ISSO will review your documentation and send the I-20 that is required to apply for an F-1 student entry visa at the U.S. Consulate in your home country or, for students who already have F-1 status, to complete the SEVIS transfer process. NOTE: ISSO usually sends out the I-20 forms four (4) weeks after it has received all required documentation and your application is complete.