As a student in our Two-Year MSW program, you enroll full time for two years of consecutive fall and spring semesters, earning 60 credits and 1,200 practicum instruction hours. You take three or four courses per term, spending two days a week in the classroom and three days a week in practicum. In the third and fourth semesters, or Year Two, you will do an in-depth study of a social work practice method and apply that method within the context of a field of practice. By the time you graduate, you will be prepared for entry into advanced social work practice. The Columbia School of Social Work has the highest first-time pass rate on the licensed clinical social worker (LCSW) exam in the New York metro area.
STUDENT STORY: Laura Luciano (MS’15) originally trained in theater (musicals)–but then one day decided to go to social work school and enrolled at CSSW. She tells us why, and about her career plans.
- A B.A. or B.S. degree from an accredited college or university, which includes 60 semester hours or credits in the liberal arts, of which at least nine are in the social or biological sciences.
- An academic record suggesting the ability to do graduate work at least at a B level.
- A serious commitment to the profession of social work and the capacity to meet the demands of professional training, often demonstrated by internships and life experiences.
1) Complete application form: 100% can be completed online.
2) Pay application fee: US$75.
3) Submit a standard resume/CV.
4) Compose three essays: Applicants are required to submit three essays in response to program specific questions.
4) Acquire three letters of reference.
5) Request and submit academic transcript(s).
6) Schedule a Skype interview (Online Campus & International Applicants).
Go to MSW Application Requirements (PDF: 9 pages)