This timeline presents some of the highlights from the School’s long and storied history:
First Summer School in Philanthropic Work, established in New York by the Charity Organization Society; 25 men and women attend classes at 105 East 22nd Street. The Summer School remained as the primary training source until 1904.
The first eight-month course of full-time graduate study is offered at the newly renamed New York School of Philanthropy. To ensure cooperation with Columbia University, Columbia’s president is an ex-officio member of the Society’s special committee responsible for the School’s affairs.
Dr. George Edmund Haynes, the first African American to receive a doctorate from Columbia University, decides to use his social work training to help found the forerunner of the National Urban League. The School forms a coalition to support the League’s founding.
The School’s name is changed to New York School of Social Work.
The Bureau of Child Guidance is founded to expand training for child guidance work. The School has been instrumental in this.
Porter Lee, the School’s dean and a casework teacher, co-authors, with Dr. Marion Kenworthy, the first psychiatric casework text. (Kenworthy is also the first psychiatrist in a full-time position at a social work school.)
The School moves to 122 East 22nd Street, the Russell Sage Building.
The Social Security Act is enacted. The School has played a role in writing and implementing the Act.
The School is affiliated with Columbia University as one of its graduate schools; the MS degree is awarded. Also around this time, the School becomes active in extending the social work role into the U.S. military.
The School moves to the Andrew Carnegie Mansion at 2 East 91st Street.
The School’s first doctoral degree is awarded, raising the academic level of social work.
The Peace Corps is founded by President John F. Kennedy. The School has formed a coalition in support of this initiative.
The School’s name is changed formally to the Columbia University School of Social Work.
The School launches a major longitudinal study of foster children, their families and the agencies serving them, which influences national policy.
The School moves to McVickar Hall on Columbia’s campus.
Sr. Mary Paul Janchill, who received her Ph.D. in social work from the school in 1968, establishes the Center for Family Life in Sunset Park in Brooklyn, a program that demonstrates the ecosystemic perspective that she and other doctoral students helped to pioneer at the School.
The first fully endowed professorship is established, followed by the full endowment of the Kenworthy Chair and nine additional endowed professorships.
McVickar Hall undergoes extensive renovations; technological innovations include new electronic classrooms and computer labs.
The United Nations Economic and Social Council Secretariat offers the School new program support and fellowship. School’s endowment rises to over $40 million.
Columbia University School of Social Work marks its centennial anniversary.
Construction of new School of Social Work building on Columbia’s campus begins; Dr. Jeanette C. Takamura is named the School’s 17th, and its first female, dean.
The School moves to its current location: 1255 Amsterdam Avenue, on the northeast corner of the Columbia University campus.
The Global Health Research Center of Central Asia is founded under Nabila El-Bassel, the Willma and Albert Musher Professor of Social Work.
The Jordan Social Work Education for Excellence Program is established.
The School establishes the Fisher Cummings Washington Fellows Program with a major gift.
The School opens its Online Campus for earning an MSW from various major cities in the United States.