School Hosts Inaugural Summer Institute on Fatherhood and Healthy Families
The inaugural East Regional Fatherhood & Healthy Families Summer Institute was held at the Columbia University School of Social Work on July 16-18, 2012. The special three-day conference focused on fatherhood and families and was sponsored by the Fathers and Families Coalition of America (FFCA), the US Department of Health & Human Services Administration for Children & Families Region II & IV, the New York State Assembly, the East Regional FFCA Affiliate, and the Columbia University School of Social Work. Faculty member, Professor Ronald B. Mincy, Sr., was the keynote speaker.
- The role of fathers in child development.
- Developing culturally appropriate programs for African American, Latino, Native American, and Asian American fathers and families.
- Working with correctional (incarcerated and re-entering fathers), child welfare, child support, and other systems.
- Developing effective healthy relationship-marriage service.
- Facilitation skills for practitioners.
- Evaluating practice and program outcomes and creating a quality assurance plan.