Seminar in Field Instruction (SIFI)
The CSSW Field Department runs a training program called the Seminar in Field Instruction, or SIFI, that is designed to assist new field instructors with understanding adult learning styles as well as mastering the best teaching techniques for imparting the skills necessary for social work students to achieve competency in particular social work methods. The seminar lasts 12 weeks and is typically held two times a year, in fall and spring. PLEASE NOTE: We will now be offering 20 CEU credits for the course.
We are offering four Advanced SIPI Seminars in April:
- Facilitating Challenging Dialogues in Field Education Settings: April 1st, 8th & 22nd
- Program Development & Proposal/Grant Writing: April 2nd. 9th & 13th
- Motivational Interviewing: April 10th
- Recognizing and Supporting Vicarious Trauma in the Field: April 17th & 24th
Limited space; sign up now.
To receive SIFI certification, participants must:
- attend all 12 sessions.
- submit short assignments.
- actively participate in the classes, which consist of lectures, presentations and discussions by our experienced SIFI instructors.
- take the course simultaneously while supervising a CUSSW student.
Once the field instructor has completed these requirements, s/he will receive a SIFI certificate at our annual SIFI ceremony.