Areas of Expertise
- Intimate Partner Violence Prevention
- HIV prevention and Treatment
- Overdose Prevention
- Harm Reduction
Download CV (pdf)
Dr. Louisa Gilbert is a licensed social worker with 25 years of experience developing, implementing and testing multi-level interventions to address HIV/AIDS, substance abuse, trauma, partner violence and other co-occurring issues among vulnerable communities in the U.S. and Central Asia. She has served as the Co-Director of the Social Intervention Group since 1999 and the Co-Director of the Global Health Research Center of Central Asia since 2007. Her specific area of research interest has concentrated on advancing a continuum of evidence-based interventions to prevent intimate partner violence among drug-involved women and women in the criminal justice system. More recently, her funded research has also focused on identifying and addressing structural and organizational barriers in harm reduction programs to implementing evidence-based interventions to prevent overdose among drug users in Central Asia.
- Intervention research to address co-occurring problems of gender-based violence, substance abuse, trauma and HIV among women drug users
- Overdose prevention research
- Services research on intimate partner violence, HIV and drug use among women in the criminal justice system
- Design and testing of multimedia prevention interventions
- Implementation research to improve delivery of evidence-based peer-driven interventions in Harm Reduction Programs
- Social Intervention Group (SIG)
- Global Health Research Center of Central Asia (GHRCCA)
- Project WINGS: A Computerized Service Tool to Address Partner Violence among Female Offenders
- Project WINGS of HOPE: Redressing Gender-based Violence among Women who use Drugs in Kyrgyzstan
- Project ADVANCE – Advocacy of Central Asian Strategies to Promote Naloxone Accessibility in Central Asia
- Project Renaissance - Couples-Based HIV/STI Prevention for Injecting Drug Users in Kazakhstan
- Silk Road Health Project: A Longitudinal Study of HIV/STI Risks Among Migrant Workers in Kazakhstan
- Project WORTH: Multimedia HIV/STI Prevention for Drug-Involved Female Offenders
- Project PACT: Couple HIV Prevention for Drug-Involved Male Offenders: An Effectiveness Trial
- Connect N’ Unite: Novel HIV Prevention for African American, Methamphetamine-Involved Male Couples
Gilbert, L. , Primbetova, S., Nikitin, D., Hunt, T. Terlikbayeva, A. ..El-Bassel, N. (in press). Redressing the Epidemics of Opioid Overdose and HIV among People who inject Drugs in Central Asia: The Need for a Syndemic Approach. Drug and Alcohol Dependence.
El-Bassel, N., Gilbert, L., Terlikbyeva, A. Wu, E. Beyrer, C…Rozental, El (in press). HIV among Injection Drug Users and Their Intimate Partners in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
Gilbert, L., El-Bassel, N., Chang, M., Shaw, S., Wu, E., Roy, L. (2013). Risk and Protective Factors for Drug Use and Partner Violence among Women in Emergency Care. Journal of Community Psychology. 41(5), 565-581.
Gilbert, L., El-Bassel, N., Chang, M., Wu, E., Roy, L. (2012). Substance use and partner violence among urban women seeking emergency care. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 26(2), 226-235. PMID 22023020
El-Bassel, N., Gilbert, L., Wu, E., Witte, S. , Chang, M., Hill, J.,Remien, R. (2011). HIV prevention for low-income drug users from New York City: A randomized controlled trial to reduce risks. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. PMID 21725249
El-Bassel, N., Gilbert, L., Terlikbayeva, A., West, B., Bearman, P., Wu, E., Zhussopov, B., Platais, I., Brisson, A. (2011). Implications of mobility patterns and HIV risks for HIV prevention among migrant market vendors in Kazakhstan. American Journal of Public Health, 101(6), 1075-1081.
El-Bassel, N., Gilbert, L., Vinocur, D., Chang, M., & Wu, E. (2011) Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and HIV risks among poor inner city women receiving care in an Emergency Department: Implications for inquiry and referral. American Journal of Public Health, 101(1), 120-127. PMID: 21088271
Gilbert, L., El-Bassel, N., Terlikbayeva, A., Erasilova, I, Rozental, E., Wu, E., Chang, M. and Bakpayev, Marat. (2010). Couple-based HIV prevention intervention with injecting drug users in Kazakhstan: A pilot intervention study. Journal of Prevention & Intervention in the Community, 38(2), 162-176. PMID: 20391062
Gilbert, L., El-Bassel, N., Wu, E., & Chang, M. (2007). Intimate partner violence and HIV risks: a longitudinal study of men on methadone. Journal of Urban Health, 84(5), 667-680. PMID: 17701458
Gilbert, L., El-Bassel, N., Manuel, J., W, E., Go, H, Seewald , R., Sanders , G. (2006). An integrated relapse prevention and relationship safety intervention. Violence and Victims. 21:5, pp.657-672. PMID: 17022356
El-Bassel, N., Gilbert, L., Wu, E., Go, H. & Hill, J. (2005). HIV and intimate partner violence among women on methadone. Social Science and Medicine. 61(1), 171-183. PMID: 15847970
Gilbert, L., El-Bassel, N., Rajah, C., Foleno, A., & Frye, V. (2001). Linking drug-related activities with experiences of partner violence: A focus group study of women in methadone treatment. Violence and Victims,16(5), 517-536. PMID: 11565591
Gilbert, L.,El-Bassel, N., Rajah, V., Fontdevila, J., Foleno, A., & Frye, V. (2000). The converging epidemics of drug use, HIV and partner violence: a conundrum for methadone maintenance treatment. Mt. Sinai Journal of Medicine, 67 (5-6), 452-464. PMID: 11064497
Gilbert, L., El-Bassel, N., Schilling, R.F., Wada, T. & Bennet, B. (2000). Partner violence and sexual risk behavior among women on methadone. AIDS and Behavior, 4(3), 261-269. PMID: 10907165
Gilbert, L., El-Bassel, N., & Schilling, R.F. (1997). Childhood abuse as a risk for partner abuse among women on methadone maintenance. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 23, 581-595. PMID: 9366975