Your First Three Steps
Go over the Admitted Students Checklist to keep up with important actions that need to be completed before starting classes.
Mark your calendar for Orientation Week. That’s when you’ll receive your class schedule and learn about registration, your field placement, and various student resources, among many other topics.
August 28–September 1, 2017
- Orientation Schedule Full-time Students (TBA)
- Orientation Schedule Extended & Reduced Residency Students* (TBA)
NOTE: Orientation Week is mandatory for full-time on-campus students. *Extended and Reduced Residency students are required to attend only the first day of Orientation Week.
Mark your calendar with the dates for Preparation for the Profession (P4P), a mandatory orientation for incoming full-time students conveying important information about what to expect from your first field placement.
For students starting field placements in Fall 2017, P4P sessions will be held:
- Friday, September 1 (Part of Orientation Week)
- Tuesday, September 5 (Community Day Walk)
- Friday, September 8
Welcome to New York City
Columbia University’s School of Social Work is located in Morningside Heights, Upper Manhattan. Even if you’ve never been to our neighborhood before, you’ll soon feel right at home—especially once you discover Apple Tree Supermarket, along with restaurants and cafes that cater to students. Watch the video here for some suggestions from recent graduates on how to make yourself at home. The rest of New York is, of course, within a subway or bus ride. As a Columbia graduate student you are eligible for discount tickets, which can be purchased at Lerner Hall, on the Morningside Campus.
Help for International Students
If you are arriving from overseas, here are some special resources:
Welcome to New York City! Please click here for more information about your housing options while attending CSSW.
Make the Most of Your Time at CSSW
Video + Quotes from former students
Tips for success from our recent graduates:
- “Come in with an open mind.”
- “If you want to do something outside of the box, go for it!”
- “Career Development I found enormously helpful.”
- “Manage your time effectively.”
- “I appreciate the self-care awareness that the School has.”
- “There’s so much going on on this campus.”
- “Outside of the classroom learning is just as important as that in-class learning.”
- “It’s all out there; this is New York City.”
- “The two years go by really fast.”