Columbia School of Social Work has been pioneering social work practices and educating social workers for over a century. The School joins rigorous, evidence-based academic theory with real-world practice. Our community is committed to continuing education that aims to:
- develop leaders in social work practice and research;
- advance the social work profession, professional values, knowledge, and skills;
- enhance well-being and the promotion of human rights and social justice at the local, national, and global level through the creation of responsive social programs and policies.
We believe that the best continuing education stretches your thinking and strengthens your practice. Our workshops are social by design, aimed at helping you grow your professional network while learning about contemporary issues in the profession.
The following workshops are open to all licensed social work professionals (click on the title for more information):
April 24, 2015
6 contact hours are available for NYS Licensed Social Workers.
$275 single; $225 for 5 or more
In this 1-day workshop, you are introduced to the syndrome of complicated grief (CG) and complicated grief treatment (CGT), the proven efficacious, 16-session psychotherapy designed to help identify and resolve grief complications and facilitate natural adaptation to a loss.
In this workshop you will learn:
- a framework for understanding bereavement and grief from an attachment system perspective
- how to recognize and assess the symptoms of complicated grief
- an overview of the core principles, strategies and procedures used in CGT.
June 5-6, 2015
12 contact hours are available for NYS Licensed Social Workers
$550 single; $475 each for 5 or more
In this 2-day workshop, you will participate in in-depth discussions of the strategies and core procedures of CGT, the time-limited, targeted psychotherapy that has been tested and proven efficacious in two NIMH-funded randomized controlled trials.The workshop includes video and/or live demonstration of techniques and role play exercises.
In this workshop you will learn:
- the theoretical underpinnings of CGT and the structure of the 16-session treatment
- strategies and core procedures used in complicated grief treatment (CGT)
- pretreatment assessment, aspirational goals work, building support, imaginal revisiting, situational revisiting, and imaginal conversation.
21st Century School Social Work: Changing the Discussion to Improve Mental Health in Our New York City Schools
June 4, 2015
7 contact hours are available for NYS Licensed Social Workers.
$77.87 single; $47.12 students and retirees
The role of the school social worker is critical to ensuring this population receives the supports they need to address barriers to learning and complete high school ready for postsecondary and work experiences. Join us in a full-day conference focused on the need for mental health services for children and youth in the educational setting. Topics include:
- The federal landscape on school mental health and the role of school social workers in impacting national policy
- Maintaining Competence in Social Work Practice
- Understanding Changes from the DSM-IV to the DSM-5; Common Mental Diagnoses of Children and Adolescents in School and Their Changes; Implications for Practice within Schools
- Dance, Movement and the Arts
- Children’s Mental Health Issues and Services Available in New York City
Courses For Alumni
If you already have an MSW or PhD from Columbia School of Social Work, you are also eligible to enroll in regular courses. You can apply these courses towards New York State LCSW licensure requirements or earn 22.5-45 continuing education contact hours towards your existing license.
Click here for Approved LCSW offerings.
Join our Mailing List
We intend to offer additional workshops in Fall 2015. Email email@example.com for bi-monthly updates on workshops.